Decorah Area Chamber of Commerce - Event Information
Iowa Tax Free Weekend
Chamber Event Community Event
*On Select Clothing and Footwear*
Back to School and Tax Free Weekend kicks off preparations and stocking up for the coming school year. Just note the TAX FREE is for Clothing and Footwear ONLY. Also the tax exemption does not apply to items selling for more than $100.
HAPPY SHOPPING and SAVING!!!
08-04-17 - 08-05-17
· This is an annual event on the first Friday and Saturday of August.
· The holiday does not include Sunday.
· Businesses that are open on these days are required to participate.
· Businesses cannot advertise that they will pay or otherwise absorb the sales tax on items that don’t qualify.
· Exemption period: from 12:01 a.m., August 5, 2016, through midnight, August 6, 2016.
· No sales tax, including local option sales tax, will be collected on sales of an article of clothing or footwear having a selling price less than $100.00.
· The exemption does not apply in any way to the price of an item selling for $100.00 or more The exemption applies to each article priced under $100.00 regardless of how many items are sold on the same invoice to a customer.
"Clothing" means... any article of wearing apparel and typical footwear intended to be worn on or about the human body.
"Clothing" does not include... · watches, watchbands, jewelry, umbrellas, handkerchiefs, sporting equipment, skis, swim fins, roller blades, skates, and any special clothing or footwear designed primarily for athletic activity or protective use and not usually considered appropriate for everyday wear.