Job Board / Classifieds Title:
President/CEO Employment Opportunity
Employment Status: Full-time/Exempt
Reports to: Board of Directors/Executive Committee/Board Chair
Annual Salary: $65,000 - $80,000 plus benefits
Application Deadline: May 9, 2019, 5:00 pm
About the Chamber
The Corvallis Chamber of Commerce is a 400-member, nonprofit business association. Its mission is to serve, lead and represent the business community and advance its interests for the good of the entire community.
The Chamber enjoys a strong working relationship with the City of Corvallis, Benton County, and its many partner organizations throughout the community. It runs weekly, monthly and annual events for the purposes of networking, education, advocacy and awareness.
Corvallis Oregon is situated in the Willamette Valley, about 75 miles south of Portland Oregon and 10 miles west of Interstate 5. The population is 58,000 people and is home to Oregon State University and headquarters for Samaritan Health Services.
President/CEO Job Description
The President/CEO provides leadership, vision, general management and coordination of Chamber activities and related business functions. He or she directs the organizational and program planning necessary to carry out the Chamber's strategic initiatives, and implements Chamber policies as expressed in the Chamber's bylaws and employee handbook.
The President/CEO is responsible for helping local businesses succeed by working with Chamber staff, Board of Directors, Ambassadors and other volunteers to accomplish the following:
- strengthen the local economy
- strengthen community relationships
- represent the business community to government
- provide meaningful networking and educational opportunities for the membership and community
The President/CEO is responsible for leadership, direction and management of Chamber staff and volunteers while maintaining an overall focus on the following key areas:
1) Membership Development: Is accountable for initiatives to solicit new and retain existing members by implementing winning strategies for membership growth and retention. Works with Board, Ambassadors and staff to ensure success.
2) Advocacy and Community Engagement: Builds and maintains an effective and collaborative working relationship with City, County, State and Federal employees and elected officials. Works with Chamber Government Affairs Committee and Board of Directors to communicate Chamber positions on selected issues. Builds and maintains an effective working relationship with Oregon State University, Linn Benton Community College and the Corvallis Public School District, as well as partner business support organizations. Provides and promotes opportunities for public forums and discussions on policy or regulatory issues that may affect the Corvallis business community.
3) Non-Dues Revenue: Works with staff, the board of directors and volunteers to maintain and enhance existing weekly, monthly and annual Chamber events. If needed, develops and implements new revenue-generating events and programs for the Chamber.
4) Personnel: Manages the day-to-day operations of the Chamber office and staff; responsible for all human resource functions. Selects, trains, develops and supervises staff and key volunteers to professionally and accurately represent the Chamber’s organizational values and accomplish its strategic initiatives. Conducts regular staff meetings and annual staff reviews, and continually communicates with staff and key volunteers to ensure understanding of assignments, responsibilities and deadlines.
5) Financial Oversight: Oversees and assists with the preparation of the Chamber's annual budget alongside Board Treasurer and Finance Committee. Works with Treasurer and bookkeeper to track and report monthly financial activities. Manages Chamber finances within the confines of the approved budget and board policies. Maintains the Chamber's financial solvency.
6) Policies and Procedures: Provides guidance to the Chamber Board of Directors regarding Chamber bylaws, government regulations and established policies. On a regular basis and with assistance from the Executive Committee, reviews and recommends revisions of policies, bylaws and strategic initiatives.
7) Board and Committee Support: Assists the Board Chair, and Board committee chairs, with the organization of Board of Directors' and other meetings, including scheduling, timely distribution of information and overseeing the preparation of committee reports. The President/CEO is a non-voting member of the Board of Directors and other Board committees.
Required Experience and Education
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, economics, business, planning, public administration or related field
- Minimum of three years' experience in business management, personnel management and financial oversight
- Experience working with a Chamber organization or similar association or development agency
- Experience working with boards of directors, governing bodies, committees and volunteers
- Strong communication skills, including writing, interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Experience working with media and general public
- Physical ability to lift boxes and materials up to 50 pounds
- Proven track record of membership growth and revenue generation
- Comfort with holding a high-visibility, community position
- Experience representing an organization with integrity and respect
- Creative problem solving
- Other combination of education, skills and expertise that qualifies one to lead and serve the Corvallis business community
Compensation and Application
Salary commensurate upon experience, anticipated to be $65,000 - $80,000 annually, plus health, dental and vision benefits. To apply, e-mail your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Explain how your leadership style and professional experience will help the Chamber accomplish the responsibilities noted above. Application deadline is Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
President/CEO Search Committee