IACCE Job Postings Title:
Lakeview Chamber of Commerce seeks Executive Director
The Lakeview Chamber of Commerce seeks an experienced full-time Executive Director. The Executive Director supports a vibrant business district by providing vision, direction, and leadership to the Lakeview Chamber and its staff in implementing the strategic goals of the organization as well as its partners Special Service Area 27 (SSA 27) and Friends of Lakeview. This position is responsible for managing the overall operations of the organization, reporting to the Lakeview Chamber Board of Directors.
● Management & Administration
○ Manage team of three full-time and one part-time staff, plus seasonal event support
staff, to successfully carry out annual work plans
○ Support the administration of the Boards of the Chamber, SSA 27, and Friends of
Lakeview by advising and informing the Boards, and planning and coordinating Board
○ Maintain contracts with SSA 27 and Friends of Lakeview, and maintain legal and
regulatory compliance for all three entities
○ Develop annual work plans and budgets in collaboration with the Boards of the
Lakeview Chamber, Friends of Lakeview, and SSA 27 Commission
○ Communicate the organization’s work to members and stakeholders
○ Maintain the strategic plan, business plans and office policies and procedures
○ Ensure the organization has sufficient revenue and resources to carry out its mission
○ Cultivate relationships with key community and City stakeholders and policy makers to
advance the Chamber’s goals
● Lead the organization’s work, which is focused on the following program areas:
○ Neighborhood Promotion: We market our neighborhood as a desirable destination for consumers and investors, host memorable community events that connect consumers to our retail districts, and also assist individual businesses with promoting themselves.
○ Business Development: We provide regular networking and education events as well as one-on-one technical assistance in order to strengthen our businesses, while also recruiting new businesses to our community.
○ Advocacy: We serve as the voice of local businesses and protect our neighborhood's commercial interests by representing small business needs on important policy and development issues that impact our area.
○ Public Space Enhancements: We maintain clean, green and welcoming sidewalks, and develop new spaces that invite people to linger and connect with their community.
● Strong commitment to the purpose and services of the Chamber
● Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years related experience (community development, urban planning or
● Previous management/leadership experience
● Knowledge of the Lakeview community and the organization’s current activities preferred
Job Knowledge and Competencies
● Community Development: Understands principles of urban planning and economic development
● Non-Profit Management: Understands best practices for successfully growing a non-profit
organization to achieve its strategic goals
● Fundraising: Understands how to raise money from diverse sources to create sustainable
sources of revenue for organizational operations
● Marketing & Events: Understands how to run successful events and marketing campaigns
● Initiative: Identifies what needs to be done and does it before being asked or before the
situation requires it
● Empowering Others: The ability to convey confidence in employees' ability to be successful,
especially at challenging new tasks; delegating significant responsibility and authority; allowing
employees freedom to decide how they will accomplish their goals and resolve issues
● Engagement: Incorporates the values, opinions and competencies of others into projects
● Assertiveness: Confidently aggressive
● Results Orientation: The ability to focus on the desired results, setting challenging goals,
focusing effort on the goals, and meeting or exceeding them
● Analysis & Innovation: Able to analyze information and trends to identify innovative solutions to
achieve strategic goals
● Stress Management: Able to keep functioning effectively when under pressure and maintain
self-control in the face of hostility or provocation
● Organization: Plans and implements in an orderly manner with an attention to detail
● Communication: Effectively shares the message through spoken and written modes in order to
convey information or influence stakeholders
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Michael Valitchka, Transition Committee Chair, Board@LakeviewChamber.com Subject: Executive Director Application
Applications accepted through June 18, 2019. No phone calls please.
About the Lakeview Chamber
The Lakeview Chamber is a 501(c)(6) non-profit membership organization originally founded in 1951 as the Lincoln-Belmont-Ashland Business Association. In 1978, the Association was merged into a new entity, the Lakeview Chamber. As the Chamber has grown, we have developed a strong position of leadership within the community. In 2003, the Lakeview Chamber established Special Service Area 27 (SSA 27) to provide public funding for supplemental public services to our commercial districts through a local property tax levy. Facing growing local economic needs, the Chamber and SSA 27 developed the Lakeview Area Master Plan (LAMP), released in 2011, identifying strategies to continue to make Lakeview a place where people desire to live, linger and long to return to. Also in 2011, the Chamber created a new 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, the Friends of Lakeview, to serve as a partner to the Lakeview Chamber and SSA 27 in implementing LAMP. Today, we are three partners with a common vision and mission who together leverage private funding, government resources and programs, and support from more than 250 members to help our local community thrive. Our mission is to support a resilient local economy and high quality of life for the benefit of businesses and residents in Chicago’s West Lakeview community through neighborhood promotion, business development, advocacy, and public space enhancements. Our service area is from Diversey to Irving Park and from Racine to Ravenswood. Read our new Strategic Blueprint, approved in 2018, at www.LakeviewChamber.com/StrategicBlueprint.
The Lakeview Chamber of Commerce is an equal opportunity employer.
Lakeview Chamber of Commerce
Michael Valitchka, Transition Committee Chair