Sylvester – Worth County Chamber of Commerce
“Ask not what your Community can do for you, but WHAT can you do for your Community”
• Did you know that there are 694,054 registered businesses in Georgia (SOS; 6/6/11) or that Georgia rank #5 up from #7 in the US for best state for business (Executive Chief) 5/11, and that Georgia rank #12 in the US for dollar value of exports ($28.7B) @ 20.8% increase from 09-10 (GDECD-5/11) Entrepreneur & Small Business Quickfacts can tell you more. Please visit: www.georgia.org/small business .
• Now - June 11th – The Mary Alice Shipp Community Development Corporation will be receiving donations for the residents affected by the tornadoes in Alabama. A trailer donated by Southland Transportation is located across from the Sylvester-Worth County Chamber of Commerce at 301 East Franklin Street. Monday – Friday 10:00AM -5:00PM items may be dropped off at the Chamber of Commerce. Items may be deposited directly into the trailer on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 6:00PM to 8:00PM. List of items for donation: non-perishable foods, first aide items, tiolet tissue, juice and water, hygienic items, baby food, blankets, shampoo and Conditioner, laundry detergent, slightly used clothing(need to be washed and in good condition) etc. For more information please contact Ms. Griffin at (229) 291-7472. (Flyers are available upon request or visit our Facebook page at: Sylvester-Worth Chamber of Commerce)
• June 13th – 17th – Moultrie Tech Tifton Summer Campus (Economic Development Building) will be hosting a youth Sumner Camp – Camp Camesapalooza register now! Please call (229) 386-3169 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org Available for K-7th grades Cost: $115 per person. Early drop- off (7:45 AM) and late pick up (5:45 PM) (Flyers are available upon request or visit our Facebook page at: Sylvester-Worth Chamber of Commerce)
• Please visit the Margret Jones Library and see what’s on the menu for FUN this summer, and please keep in mind that the Margret Jones Staff greatly needs your support. Contact the staff and find out how you can help and about all the wonderful activities that they have to offer this summer. (Flyers are available upon request or visit our Facebook page at: Sylvester-Worth Chamber of Commerce)
• Please join Eric Hatcher of Harvest Studio, and the North Florida Model-T touring group on a journey around Sylvester and get a rich taste of some of the Heritage by visiting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDqZEC5OIB4
• DriveOne4URSchool - The DriveOne4URSchool event will be held again on September 24, 2011. Please visit http://driveone4urschool.com/ for more details and to register. Sunbelt Ford (F21573) Also share the Ford Story at http://www.thefordstory.com
• NEVER leave a child alone in a car – even for a minute! This is a public announcement from the Safe Kids Foundation. Please visit www.safekids.org/nlyca for more information. (Flyers are available upon request or visit our Facebook page at: Sylvester-Worth Chamber of Commerce)
For Sumner Fun and Activities: Please contact our local Recreation Department at (229) 776-6509 for more details.
• July 16th – Best Friends Humane Society 1st Annual Golf Tournament hosted at the Pine Knoll Country Club in Sylvester, Georgia. 3 person team Scramble- $200 per team sign from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM. There will be a continental breakfast and shotgun start to tournament at 9:00 AM. Team sign in no later than July 14th for more information, please contact Jackie Lackey (229) 776-2139/ (229) 881-9669 or Max Huston or Hank Houston @ Pine Knoll Country Club (229) 776-3455. (Flyers are available upon request or visit our Facebook page at: Sylvester-Worth Chamber of Commerce )
• STOP AND SHOP SYLVESTER-WORTH COUNTY. Our local retailers want you to stop in and give them an opportunity to meet your needs throughout the Year 2011. Please contact the Chamber if you need help finding a business that can help you keep our tax dollars local!
Disability Coverage for Employees -
A Low Cost Solution That Communicates Caring
Many employees have some form of life insurance. Unfortunately, they are much more likely to need disability insurance in their lifetimes. For the average 30-40 year old, roughly one out of three people will endure a disability of 90 days or more before age 65.
When these events occur not only is their family put in a potentially devastating position, but their employer will almost certainly be impacted as well. The employer is left with one less employee for potentially a prolonged period of time. In addition, employers who are close to their employees feel terrible for them, wishing in many cases that they could somehow help compensate them in one of their greatest times of need.
The solution: disability income products or, as we say to customers, paycheck replacement products!
Group short term and long term disability products are very inexpensive solutions that make employees feel more secure and allow employers to obtain high quality employees.
Group short term disability products can be based upon a person’s income or can also be purchased in flat amounts, like $200 or $300 per week of income based on a person’s income. These policies can be set up to begin one day, one week or two weeks after an illness or one week to two weeks after an injury and can replace a portion of the employee’s paycheck for up to 1 year depending on the product chosen.
Group long term disability products are typically based on a percentage of a person’s income, such as 60%, and typically do not begin paying until 90 or 180 days after the disability has occurred.
The best news of all, there are discounts available on these products! Your local Chamber of Commerce is helping small businesses offer more affordable employee benefits insurance products through its participation in MemberCare AllianceSM, a statewide network of more than 130 Chambers of Commerce.
The MemberCare Alliance of Worth County program includes a variety of other discounted insurance products, such as: group health insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, long term care and term life insurance. All these products are available through participating Chamber-member insurance agents. For more information on any of these insurance offerings, please call the Chamber, one of your participating Chamber-member insurance agents, or Purchasing Alliance Solutions, Inc., (the company that developed the MemberCare Alliance program) at 770-579-1214 or 1-800-782-8254 ext. 3014.
Next month we’ll discuss some suggestions that could make these products less expensive or even free to employers and present a way to offer your employees even more protection at no additional cost to you!
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
• A Big WELCOME to our Newest Members:
1 of a Kind Thrift Store
Mary Alice Shipp Community Development Center
Worth County Health Department
100 Mile Peanut Pickin Yard Sale
Powell’s Contract Services, LLC
Sylvester Elementary School
James and Karen McDonald
Worth County High School Band Booster Club
Worth County Middle School
Gibbs Pecans & Shelling Company
M & R Ag
Elite Images and Printing
Ford Insurance Agency, Inc
Worth County Primary School
O’Reilly Auto Parts
• Thank you for renewing your membership for the year 2011:
AGGeorgia Farm Credit
Agri-AFC, LLC Sylvester
Ashley’s Business Solutions, Inc
Astro Exterminating Services
At & T
B & C Sporting Goods
Banks Funeral Home
Best Friends Humane Society in Worth Co.
Boy Scout Troup 100
Brown Milling & Peanut Co.
Bryan and Jordan Body Shop
Camille Taylor, Century 21 Smith, Branch, & Pope, LLC
Carroll’s Sausage & Meats
City of Poulan
City of Warwick
Coastal Plain CASA
Colony Bank of Worth
Colquitt Regional Home Care
Conger Gas LP
Coopercraft Communications, Inc.
Countryside Animal Clinic
Creek Bottom Trail Rides, LLC ( ATV Park)
D & B A/C and Mechanical Services
Dairy Queen of Sylvester, Inc.
De Lage Landen
Dialysis Clinic, Inc.
Dr. Henry Gordon Davis
Dr. Larry Daugherty
Emerald Garden Center
Event Technical Services, Inc
Farm Commodities, Inc
Farmers Home Furniture
Fat Boys Backyard BBQ and More
Fletcher-Yearta Jewelers, Inc
Ford Insurance Agency
Futrill Auto Parts, Inc.
Gardner & Hydrick Vet P.C
Georgia Power Company
Globe Financial Services
H & R Block
Handy Andy Store
Hal Carter Construction
HeritageBank of the South
Herring Business Products, OCE Imagistics, Inc
Herring CPA Group
HOOK FM 105.7
Housing Authority of City of Sylvester
Hudson and NeSmith CPA
J.H. Harvey’s Co, LLC
Jim Hinton Oil Company
Jimmy Sanders, Inc
John and Shelly McPhaul
Kiwanis Club of Sylvester
Kentucky Fried Chicken
LPC Solutions, LLC
Margaret Jones Library / Vickie Young
Medders Associates Survey, Inc.
Medders Enterprises, Inc
Medders Irrigation, LLC
Miss Georgee’s Play-Kare
Mobley Gin Company
Moultrie Technical College
Nethers’s Old Fashioned Pork Skins, Inc
Norman Crowe, Jr.
Norman Park Gin
Ochlocknee Plantation, Ltd.
O’Reilly Auto Parts
Paragon Foods, Inc. – 3 Squares Diner
Phoebe Worth Family Medicine
Phoebe Worth Medical Center
Pinson Memorial United Methodist
Plantation Publishing Company
Pour Me Some Coffee
Purchasing Alliance Solutions, Inc
Representative Ed Rynders
Shipp Funeral Home
Shipp Shape Lawn Service
Short and Paulk Supply
Snipes Piggly Wiggly
Southern Express Lube, Inc
Southern Heritage Woodworks
Southern Woods Plantation
Southland Technologies, Inc
Southwest Georgia Bank/Sylvester Banking Company
Stuart Pate-State Farm Insurance
Sumner Egg Festival
Sumner Peanut Company, Co
Sunbelt Ford-Mercury, Inc
Sunshine Party Rentals
Sylvester Animal Hospital
Sylvester Family Practice/ HealthPlus
Sylvester Health Care, Inc
Sylvester Plaza, LTD Partnership
Sylvester Women’s Club
The Car Wash
The Harvest Group, Harvest School of Music and Hook FM 105.7
The Melanie Hurst Corporation DBA Jessie & Salon
The Sumner Egg Festival
The Sylvester Local News
Town of Sumner
Tyson Steel Building Products, Inc.
Walgreens of Sylvester
Warwick Blackshear Business Organizations
Warwick Drugs, Inc
Warwick Health Care
Warwick Septic Tank, Inc
Williams Insurance Company, Inc.
Woodmen of the World
Worth County Farm Bureau, Inc.
Worth County High School
Worth County Primary School
Worth Finance Corporation
Worth Gin Company, Inc
Worth Air Heating and Cooling
Worth Insurance Agency
Thanks to all our members!! We could not do it without you, especially in this economic climate. You have all shown an extraordinary commitment to your community. Community Support is the mainstay of any Chamber of Commerce and you are all NUMBER ONE in our book.
FUTURE EVENTS COMING TO OUR AREA:
If you have upcoming events that you would like to share, please contact the Chamber and let us help to spread the word.
* Worth County is a Work Ready Community! Ask your Chamber of Commerce how you can become Work Ready, too!
A strong Chamber is the sign of a strong community. Ask how you can help increase membership to the Chamber!!
We are dedicated to keeping you updated on events in our Community and hope that we will see you there supporting your Community!
Karen M. Rackley
Sylvester-Worth County Chamber of Commerce
229-776-6657 (GA Peanut Festival)