About Kappa Kappa Kappa Inc.
Tri Kappa was formed by several ladies attending the Girls’ Classical School founded by May Wright Sewall in Indianapolis. This secondary school included the first two years of college-level education. The young ladies decided it might be fun to form a “secret” organization, to have a few social times together, officers, dues, a password, and a few rules.
Of the original eight members, only Beryl Showers of Bloomington returned to school the following fall. Beryl decided to revive the organization and selected her best friend, Erma Ribeyre; her roommate, Mary Sanders; and four other friends, Bertha Matthews, Gertrude Zumpe, Lulu Baer, and Frances Roberts. These seven young ladies are considered the founders of Tri Kappa. They met in Beryl's room on February 22, 1901, and formally organized. Officers were elected, and they wrote a constitution avowing their purpose to be charity and kindness. The original pin later became the Council pin. To ensure Tri Kappa would continue beyond their school days, each member was to start a chapter in her hometown.